Sunday, August 19, 2018

Pergola Visited 6/7/2018 3 Forks

Pergola  36 W 28th St., New York, NY 10001


I'll keep this review quick because it's not really like Pergola is a true restaurant - it's really more a hookah bar/club for the Murray Hill crowd.  My good friend Vivi was in town visiting with her daughter and it was a rare opportunity to have a girls night out with her, Maggie and Lav.  The location was kind of random, it's in a weird side street in the Flower District and in all my years of living in NYC, I would have never stumbled upon this place. 

When I arrived, it immediately reminded me of the kinds of places you go when you first move to NYC.  Everyone was dressed up like they were ready to party even though it was a random Thursday night.  Maggie and I got there early and the hostess said that we could wait in the back until our friends came. We asked if we could get a drink and she never really answered our question and then when we grabbed a table behind the bar no one came to take our drink order.  Finally our host came back and said our table was ready upstairs.  The upstairs is a really weird layout, it's like a square but only with tables along the side of the wall so the middle was empty.  There was less eating from the crowd and mostly smoking.  The hookah part didn't bother me at all, but it was just a weird environment to be in.  

As for the food, it's got a Middle Eastern flare to it.  I wasn't super hungry for some reason and ended up ordering a kale salad with shrimp (I know, how lame).  The salad came with baby kale, grilled corn, feta and walnuts.  It was a totally fine salad but nothing super inspiring or mind blowing.  I felt like we should have ordered bottle service instead of food here.  In the end, it was the company here that was more fun to me and if you're still in your 20's or 30's and want the hookah experience, I would recommend this place but if you're looking for a quiet night out with the girls and catching up over good food and drinks, there are plenty of other places in NYC that would better suit your needs.  The bill was graciously covered by my friends for my birthday.  

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: