Sunday, September 23, 2018

24 hours in Berlin Visited 6/23/2018 4 Forks

Huftgold  Neue Bahnhofstr. 29




In between my 2 weeks in Amsterdam, I figured it would be fun to take a quick jaunt over to Berlin to see my friend Jill.  She was about to move from Berlin to London soon, so I figured now was the time to go otherwise, I probably make the trek over.  To be honest, even though most people rave about Berlin it was just never top on my list to check out.  It kind of reminded me of being a grey and stern city - and that is exactly what I got when I visited.  No knock to the city and I'm sure I didn't get to see even half of it while I was there, but I didn't get the warm and fuzzies when I went to visit.

Luckily, the one fun thing that was going on while I was there was that it was the World Cup and Germany was playing while I was there.  Jill and I met up with one of her friends at a local bar/restaurant where they were showing the game outside.  It wasn't a huge space but they hung a large TV outside and you could still order drinks and food while you watched the game.  Since I was in Germany, I felt like it was my duty to get wiener schnitzel while I was in town.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a very thin veal cutlet that's breaded and pan fried.  It was served with buttery mashed potatoes, a mushroom sauce and a salad.   Everytime I eat veal, I feel super guilty but it was delicious and paired with the mashed potatoes and a squeeze of lemon, it was German food heaven.  The place seemed like a fun local place to hang out - I didn't see a ton of tourists, so if you're in that part of town and looking for a casual place to hang out, I'd definitely recommend this place.  Unfortunately I can't remember how much our bill was but it was quite affordable and the nice waiter even gave us a free shot at the end.

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: