Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Shalom Japan Visited 8/18/2018 3 Forks

Shalom Japan  310 S 4th St., Brooklyn, NY 11211


My friend Nathalie and I were finally going to meet up after randomly meeting up in Sweden a few months ago.  She told me she has never really been to Brooklyn before....what?!?  I felt like I had to show her around Williamsburg (plus she's super into real estate, so we wanted to walk around the 'hood) so  I'm super bummed that we ended up here because I feel like it didn't really do the neighborhood justice. 

The theme here is exactly what you would imagine - Japanese and Jewish food.  It's definitely not something you see anywhere but Nathalie Jewish and I'm Asian, so ha, it was worth a shot.  They have a very limited brunch menu, so definitely read up on the menu ahead of time to decide if there's anything you want to eat.  The brunch menu is 7 items that quite frankly aren't too brunch-y:  egg and cheese sandwich, matzoh ball ramen, lox bowl, burger and french toast.  So if you aren't feeling any of those things, you're SOL.  I got the egg and cheese sandwich, which don't get me wrong, I love a good egg and cheese but it feels kind of lame to get in a sit-down restaurant.  The sandwich was totally if fine, it not a bit uninspiring.  The bread was pretty dry but I will give it props for a beautiful presentation.  Nathalie got the lox bowl which was basically lox, rice, avocado, and cucumber - it looks fine but I'm not sure she left feeling super full or satisfied.  The food was by no means bad, it was just "fine" which doesn't quite meet the high standards of the other places in Brooklyn.

I appreciate the creativity of what they are trying to do here but the execution just wasn't there for me.  I heard that the ramen there is pretty good, so maybe that's the thing to try there.  Sadly, it's definitely not the place you want to bring someone who has never been to Brooklyn before either!  Total bill: $17/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: