Saturday, December 22, 2018

Strip House Visited 8/6/2018 4 Forks

Strip House  13 E 12th St., New York, NY 10003


One of my biggest clients was in town for a business review and since this was the first time I was meeting them, I felt like I had to take them to an over-the-top restaurant.  They're from Texas so it felt like the only right was to take them to a steak house.  I wanted to keep things close to downtown and since I had never been to the Strip House, it felt like the right time to go.

It's exactly what you would imagine of a typical old school steak house - it's dark, a bit stuffy, and lots of wood paneling.  The waiter was super friendly, very charming and talked us into really upgrading our meal (smart man).  The table split the shrimp cocktail, crab cake, creamed spinach, mashed potato and broccoli.  Most people got some kind of steak, while I split the special tomahawk dry aged steak for two with Farzana.  The shrimp cocktail was comically large - it was like they were on steroids but it was still tasty.  The crab cake was ok - again, it's hard for me to really be impressed with any crab cake outside of Maryland.  But the star of the show was clearly the meat.  The tomahawk was insanely large, beautifully pink and marbled in the middle.  It might scare some folks but I was in love with it.  Combine it with the delicious creamed spinach and mashed potato and I was in heaven.  I would usually not take meat home but there was so much of it that it felt wrong to leave it behind.  I had a full lunch the next day.  The broccoli was also a nice "healthy" touch if you need some greens.  Everyone was stuffed but we got suckered into (I told you our waiter was good)  the 24 layer chocolate cake.  As most of you know, I'm not a huge chocolate fan but this cake was pretty damn delicious.  It was legit 24 layers, moist and decadent but not overly heavy. 

Overall, it was a successful client meal and I was impressed with the quality of the steak even though it is a part of a larger chain (Landry's).  I would say that unless you're coming here on an expense account, you might be better off trying out other steak places in the city that are more reasonably priced.  I really burned a hole in my credit card and even my boss made a comment about it.  Opps. Total bill: $1,400 with tax and tip

Photo Credit: Yelp 

No comments: