Sunday, February 24, 2019

1 Week in Amsterdam 9/15-9/22/2018 Part 3 - 4.5 Forks

Bird Thais  Zeedijk 72-741012 BA Amsterdam                                                                      4.5 Forks


Who knew there would be delicious Thai food in the middle of the Red Light District?  But there is!  This place was super crowded with tourists and locals alike but it's definitely worth waiting for - especially if you've been eating kind of mediocre Dutch food for the past few days.   My usual go to food when I get home from any work or personal trip is a visit to my local Thai place, so this was a nice early detour to get some much needed Asian flavors and spices into my system.

The menu is extremely extensive and has all the usual suspects but they also have a lot of unique dishes too.  I opted to go for a red curry with squid (16 euros) and Farzana got a lychee curry.  We started with some fish cakes for the table, which were super tasty and some chicken thighs wrapped in bamboo leaves which were great too.  My squid curry was excellent - spicy but not to the point where you can't taste anything.  The squid was also prepared nicely and had a nice bite to it.  The usual blandness of the squid absorbed all the flavors of the red curry really well.  I tried the lychee curry and you know what?  It was actually really tasty - it was the perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness.  I wonder why more places don't play with these two flavors more?

Sadly the only bummer of the night was that they ran out of mango sticky rice for dessert.  I saw another table get it and it looked amazing.  Waa Waa.  This place was definitely a great find and highly recommended if you're looking for a reprise from the chicken and potatoes that you usually find in Dutch restaurants.

Photo Credit:  Yelp

Water and Brood  Nieuwe Kerkstraat 841018 EC Amsterdam                                                3 Forks


I'll give this place props and say that it's super cute and very Instagram worthy - which seems to be very important to restaurants these days.  It looks like the kind of place where a lot of students go to hang out or study but it is tiny so I wouldn't recommend going relax and chill out with a cup of coffee.  The staff is incredibly sweet here so the only bummer is that the dish that I ordered wasn't especially delicious (although now I see that they have taken it off the menu on their website, so maybe they knew that too). 

The menu is a combination of sandwiches, burgers and all day brunch-y food like omelet's and breakfast burritos.  For some reason, the Philly Cheesesteak was calling my name. I know, how good could a traditional American sandwich be in Amsterdam but I had to try it out. 

The steak wasn't thin stripes like in a traditional Philly way, but more like chopped up cubes of meat  and there wasn't enough melted cheese to it.  On top of that, the bread was med and dry.  Overall, I took a risk and that risk didn't pay off.  I took a small bite out of Farzana's omelet and it was pretty tasty - so I guess the lesson to be learned here is that you should stick to the basics in a cafe in Amsterdam and leave the cheesesteaks to the guys in Philly.  Total bill:  30 euros

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: