Monday, December 21, 2009

Fette Sau - Visited 12/19/2009 - Five Forks

Fette Sau 354 Metropolitan Avenue, Brooklyn, NY


After the disastrous experience at Hill Country, all I really wanted was REAL BBQ.  I have been to Fette Sau many many times and it has never disappointed me.  The menu changes up frequently but it's always good and affordable.  The key is to go early because when they run out of a certain food, that's it for the night.  We got there around 6:45pm on the day of the blizzard, but it was surprisingly crowded.  Sadly, they did not have the St. Louis style ribs...we always seem to miss out on the ribs when we have gone lately.  Instead, we got 1/4 lb Glazed Ham ($15/lb), 1/4 lb Pork Shoulder ($16/lb), 1/2 lb Pork Belly ($16/lb), and 1/4 Pastrami ($16/lb), 4 sausage links ($2.50/each), baked beans, potato salad and corn bread.  There were 4 of us, but my portion (the ham, shoulder and beans) cost $13!  The most exciting thing I discovered is that they now take American Express!  I know, it seems kind of lame to be excited by it, but now that means I can try to convince my boss to have dinners there and expense them (we can only go places where they accept AmEx).  Drink wise,  we got a half growler of IPA and Dan and I each got a whiskey ($13/each).  What can I say, the food is outstanding there. The pork belly was perfectly fatty and delicious, shoulder was moist, and the sauces they have on the table complemented the food great.  Dan and I have been on a whiskey kick lately, and we have found that Fette Sau has one of the best and most affordable whiskey line-ups in the city.  I had the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and he had the Elijah Craig.  The only bad things I have to say about the Sau is that A) your clothes might smell of BBQ when you leave and B) for anyone who doesn't eat meat, there are almost zero options (even the baked beans have meat in it).  But it's a small price to pay for perfection.  Plus the hipster crowd is always fun to watch.

No comments: