Monday, December 21, 2009

Hill Country - Visited 12/18/2009 - 1.5 Forks

Hill Country - 30 West 26th Street NY, NY 10010

I visited this BBQ place for a friend's birthday party last friday and conceptually it sounded like a great place.  After all, who doesn't like BBQ? The atmosphere was like a old style Texas country BBQ restaurant - lots of wood and country music going on.  When you enter, they give you a "meal ticket" where they tally up your drinks and food and then you hand your ticket over when you leave.  They had an ok line up of beer, whiskey and cocktails. I stuck with a Blue Moon ($6) while secretly craving a Texas Rose ($11).  We go upstairs to the market to order our meat and I was surprised by the prices, most of the meats were around $22+.  They had brisket (moist and lean), ribs (beef and pork), sausage (for $6.50/each), pork shoulder and lots of sides. I decided to go with .70 lbs of moist brisket ($15) and a side of baked beans ($5.50) while Dan got pork ribs and shoulder (total $16).  The brisket was a bit too fatty for me and the ribs were very difficult to eat. To me ribs should fall off the bone when you eat them.  These required a fork and knife and I still couldn't get most of the meat off.  Overall, I was pretty disappointed in the food and the prices.  When I checked out, I had spent $40 and Dan has spent $25.  You can definitely get much better BBQ for much cheaper in the city.

No comments: