Sunday, January 3, 2010

Brooklyn Star - Visited 12/31/09 3 Forks

Brooklyn Star 33 Havemeyer St between 8th St & 7th St Brooklyn, NY 11211



I had been wanting to go to Brooklyn Star for brunch for a while since I heard that the biscuits and gravy were pretty good. But as New Years Eve rolled around and since we didn't have reservations anywhere, I decided that it would be best to go to Brooklyn Star for dinner given that I knew that they didn't have an expensive NYE prix fixe menu. We rolled into the restaurant around 10pm and luckily for us, the staff allowed us in since they were closing the kitchen (I'm sure so that they could get out in time before midnight). I ordered the Country Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and cole slaw ($14) and Dan had the BBQ Catfish with onion rings and beets ($14). As you can tell the menu is pretty southern focused and if you are looking for a healthy meal, I would go somewhere else. Since it was the New Year, we felt it was necessary to get a drink, so we split a pitcher of Six Point Sweet Action ($23), which amounted to 4 glasses. I had never had country fried steak before and I must say this one was pretty damn good. The only issue I had was that the fried part seemed to want to separate from the steak so that often I was just eating a piece of steak with the fried part falling off and being left on my plate. I generally don't like cole slaw very much, but this one was pretty good. It was kind of warm and didn't have much mayo on it, so it seemed more like chopped cabbage instead, which helped cut the intense amount of fatty/friedness on the plate. Dan's catfish seemed well seasoned and the onion rings were pretty good - not too greasy...they almost seemed baked. Several people in the restaurant were eating what looked like a really juicy T-bone steak, but that was a bit much of us for dinner. While I'm generally not a huge fan of "american" food, all-in all, I thought the food was well done and I would be interested in checking out the brunch menu soon.

No comments: