Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cong Ly - Visited 1/5/10 2.5 Forks

Cong Ly 124 Hester St(between Bowery & Chrystie St)


I love love pho. I have been on a quest for good pho in new york city for years. None of them come close to this place at home in MD that is simply amazing. Virginia and I have made it our mission to try as many pho places in the city since they're are cheap and delicious! Since we always seem to pick places that we've mysteriously already been to, we decided to try Cong Ly, which we definitely knew neither of us have been to. As with any restaurant in Chinatown, decor is not their strong suit. It's pretty dingy, but the owners seemed quite nice, even though I'm pretty sure they were Chinese and not Vietnamese. We split the summer rolls and fried spring rolls, both quite good and fresh. Next, I ordered the #5, which was beef pho with round-eye. VA had ordered the same but with meatballs in it, but apparently something got lost in translation as they didn't bring her food out and when they did, there were no meatballs to be found.

But on to the pho. It was pretty good, broth was well seasoned and flavorful. The meat was nice and a bit raw, which is the way I like my pho. My only complaint would be that the bowl was too small (there was only 1 size to order) and I could have used a bit more meat in my soup. Our total bill (food and 2 cans of soda) came out to $20! You definitely can't beat chinatown prices!

No comments: