Monday, February 1, 2010

Fort Defiance - Visited 1/30/10 - 2 Forks

Fort Defiance 365 Van Brunt Street (corner of Dikeman) Brooklyn, NY 1123


This place has been getting a lot of great press lately and I was eager to check it out. I love Red Hook and usually like places that are a bit off the beaten path. We went for brunch on a Saturday afternoon around 12:30pm. The place is cute from the outside and inside it's pretty small, maybe 8-10 tables, with some seating at the bar. The place claims to be New Orleans style food, so I was excited to try the Muffelatta sandwich, which is a New Orleans classic. I should have asked what was in the sandwich first and I painfully later learned that it was covered in olive paste, which I hate! The sandwich was decent sized ($10) but from what I heard, in New Orleans they are gigantic. The bread was nice and soft and the meats and cheeses were fine, but I just couldn't get over the olive taste. Dan got the Savannah ($11), which sounded great on paper: biscuits, eggs, gravy and small piece of fried chicken. I just had a small bite, so I couldn't really properly assess the meal, but Dan claimed it completely lacked flavor and was something that he could probably make at home. He also left feeling hungry, which usually doesn't happen with him. The coffee was individually ground and brewed ($2.50), so there were no re-fills, which I generally don't like when you're having breakfast/brunch. I'm not sure what all the hub-bub was about...although I think the cocktails get most of the buzz and they did sound good, but the food was a bit of a disappointment.

No comments: