Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Veselka Visited 2/6/10 2.75 Forks

Veselka 144 2nd Ave New York, NY 10003
This is one of those restaurants that I have seen a million times while living in nyc, but never have eaten at. I had heard that it was a New York landmark of sorts, so I was curious as to what the food was actually like. Dan and I had originally decided to get ramen but Ippudo had an hour 1/2 wait at 10pm on a Saturday (only in New York folks). After walking around a bit, we settled on Veselka b/c it was close by. The inside was like a basic dinner with counter-top and table service. We were seated within 15 minutes. The menu was quite overwhelming with lots of Ukrainian and other ethnic choices. I figured, since I am in a Ukrainian restaurant, I should eat what they specialize in. While I was tempted to order pierogis, I opted for the meat stuffed cabbage ($12.95) which came with 2 sides (I chose mashed potato and a garden salad). Dan order the special pierogi of the day (short ribs - he got them fried with apple sauce. Personally, I like them boiled with a side of sour cream) ($11.95). The garden salad was actually really good. It came with this delicious sweet dill dressing.

When the meat stuffed cabbage came, i thought it could have fed 2. There were 2 big pieces covered in a very flavorful mushroom sauce (tasted very much like thanksgiving gravy). The potatoes could have used a bit more salt or butter, but it's probably better that they didn't. The meat was mixed with rice, which made the meal even more filling. I finished 1 1/2 pieces and had to call it a day. I thought Dan's pierogis were ok...making them fried was just too much, but they were definitely filled the the brim with meat. Next time I go, I would be interested in trying their goat cheese or cheddar pierogis. Total bill came out to $28 for the 2 of us. Not bad considering how random and last minute it was.

No comments: