Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Holy Basil Visited 2/5/10 3 Forks

Holy Basil 149 2nd Ave, New York



When I first moved to New York, almost 10 years ago now (!), Holy Basil was one of the first thai restaurants that I had been to. I've been back only a handful of times, mostly because there are just too many cheap/good thai places in NYC. Randomly, Aarti and I decided to take her brother and sister-in-law there for dinner. It's on the 2nd floor of the building that now houses the defunct Telephone bar. The inside is actually quite nice and sleeker looking that your average loud, noisy, cheap thai place like Spice or Sea. While it was definitely packed to the rim on a Friday night, we were all still able to hear each other without having to yell. As soon as I started looking at the menu, I remembered why I don't come here as much. While the food is very good, the prices also reflect the slightly more upscale look to this place. I got a lychee martini ($11), that was extremely strong and my usual chicken pad thai ($11). The pad thai was pretty good; wet and saucy. We had split the veggie spring rolls to start and while they were fine, a few of the pieces were apparently very cold. I ended up spending $27 for my meal, which isn't too bad but when you think of how you can get the exact same meal somewhere else, it is a bit expensive. But at least the food is great and the ambiance is enjoyable.

No comments: