Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Acme Oyster House Visited 3/21/10 4 Forks

Acme Oyster House 724 Iberville St
New Orleans, LA 70130


The one type of food that I was most excited about in New Orleans was OYSTERS! I am obsessed with them and in New York unless you go to a happy hour, they are generally pretty expensive. I had heard from several people and sources that this was the place to go although I was a bit weary that soo many people knew of it. Dan and I went around 5:30pm on Sunday and there already was a line out the door. Luckily, the line went pretty quickly (it probably helped that we were pretty drunk too). We immediately ordered 1 dozen raw oysters ($10.99!) and split a Po-boy Peace Maker ($10.99)that had oyster and shrimp and the New Orleans Medley, which includes gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice and grilled smoke sausage ($11.99). To be honest, I wish I hadn't been drinking so much so that I could enjoy all my food...but despite my condition, I did know that I LOVE the raw oysters. They were simply amazing. They were large, meaty, and smooth tasting. Totally not fishy at all. They offer you the oysters with a side of cocktail sauce and fresh horseradish. Be warned, the fresh horseradish is delicious but incredibly potent. It went straight to my head and almost caused my brain to explode. I later learned that the cocktail sauce also had horseradish in it, so I was doubling my horseradish intake.

The po-boy sandwich was pretty good, but a bit dry b/c I was eating all this fried food wrapped in bread. After I got home I realized I was incredibly thirsty and I think it might be tied to the sandwich. I really enjoyed everything in the medley. It was all very spiced well and a distinct New Orleans flare. But I couldn't get over the oysters and ordered another round. Honestly, I could have just sat there all day and ordered oysters until the sun came up. I saw on the wall that the record was 42 1/2 dozen in one sitting. I would have loved to have given that guy a run for his money, but unfortunately, I had one too many hurricanes and had to get home. I would definitely go back, probably more at an off peak hour so that I don't have to wait in line as much.

No comments: