Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Surrey's Juice Bar Visited 3/22/10 4 Forks

Surrey's Juice Bar 1418 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA 70130
Dan and I had had breakfast at our B&B for the past 3 days and wanted to try something more local on our last day. While I had wanted to try a bunch of other places that were in the French Quarter, I'm glad that we had tried this very cute local cafe. Our friends had gone there the other day and said they liked it and it was within walking distance of our B&B. I really really liked this place. It seems like one of those quaint local cafes that just serves good hearty food without any fanfare. They seemed to have a very eclectic brunch menu, from typical southern food to mexican and costa rican breakfast plates.

I ordered the special crabmeat omelet and Dan got the boudin, egg and grits sandwich. The omelet was amazing (taste wise and caloric wise). It came with a buttermilk biscuit and the omelet had real crabmeat in the omelet AND in the very very rich crabmeat sauce. It was stuffed with pieces of brie cheese and topped with avocado. I'm sure the sauce had about 5 sticks of butter in it which is why it tasted so good, but the entire dish was yummy and one of the best brunch dishes I've had anywhere. While I didn't taste most of Dan's meal, he seemed very satisfied with it and the grits that I did taste were delicious. I have to say that every place I went to in New Orleans that served grits had amazing grits. The South really knows how to cook them well! FYI, it's cash only.

No comments: