Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Xe Lua Visited 3/20/10 3.5 Forks

Xe Lua 86 Mulberry St (between Bayard St & Walker St)


Virginia and I are always on the quest for find good pho and just when we had thought we had tried every place in Chinatown, she came across this place on NY Mag. I must have seen/walked by this place a million times b/c it's literally right on the corner of Mulberry and Canal/Walker St. It's your typical non-descript place in chinatown with not a lot of charm, but it's actually a bit bigger and maybe even a bit cleaner than your usual chinatown place.

We order friend spring rolls ($4) and Steamed Rice Crepe w/ Minced Pork & Ear Mushrooms ($7) to start. I've never had the rice crepes but it was really good! It reminded me of one of my favorite dim sum dishes, Shrimp crepe. It's basically a large rice noodle type of consistency with pork and mushroom inside and cut into 6 small pieces served with sauteed bean sprouts and some kind of meat (pork?) sliced on the slide. We each got the Pho Tai ($6.50) and it was a pretty large size bowl. The broth was very flavorful and had the appropriate amount of cilantro and onion. I would have prefer my meat a bit more raw but maybe that was my fault for not saying that. The menu has an abundance of other vietnamese dishes such as Bun, pork chops, chicken dishes, etc. The waitstaff is pretty nice there as VA and I sat there for over 2 hours just talking. I would definitely come back here again when I have a hankering for good, cheap pho. Total bill was $18/pp with tax and tip.

No comments: