Friday, April 9, 2010

Northern Spy Food Co. Visited 4/7/10 3.5 Forks

Northern Spy Food Co. 511 E 12th St(between Avenue A & Avenue B)


I was originally a bit hesitant about going here b/c the menu seemed so limited. But I was willing to give it try based on all the good reviews I had read about. A friend and I met up on a beautiful Weds. evening around 7pm, and all the windows were removed/open to create a nice airy environment. The place is small with a bunch of small 2-4 top wooden tables.

The menu is indeed limited but they do have a few specials on the board when you walk in. I was torn between the special seafood chowder, special pork belly or the polenta. I settled for the pork belly ($17) which initially looked like a pretty small portion. It came with 2 very well cooked pork belly pieces, roasted potatoes and some sauteed greens. Swaroopa had the mushroom sandwich ($11), which she said was good and it looked pretty fresh and clean tasting. The sandwich didn't come with any sides and we debated getting a side of potatoes b/c we both felt like our meal wasn't enough. But instead we decided to go for dessert ($6/each). I went with the apple pie and Swaroopa went with the chocolate pudding. I thought my apple pie was actually really really good! The ice cream that it came with was a-mazing. It was some kind of almond tasting ice cream and the pie was super soft and had a lot of spices. I hate apple pie that has the hard bready shell and this was the complete opposite. The chocolate pudding looked to be good too, but it looked like it was more of a milk chocolate instead of a dark chocolate.

Overall it was a good experience and by the time we left around 8:30, the place was completely packed with a line outside. The one thing that did kind of annoyed me was that the table next to me also got the pork belly and the guy got 3 pieces to my 2 pieces! I would have loved to have had a 3rd piece!

No comments: