Sunday, April 11, 2010

Calexico Carne Asada Visited 4/10/10 3.5 Forks

Calexico Carne Asada 122 Union St(between Columbia St & Hicks St)


One of my biggest gripes about NYC and Brooklyn in general is that there aren't enough good mexican places. While Calexico isn't really near my apt, but it's definitely an option that I would consider going back to many times. When we first got there the cashier guy told us that the wait would be 50 minutes! I had to do a double take b/c, while the place was full, it didn't seem like it would merit an almost 1 hour wait for food. But I was to tired and lazy to go somewhere else, so we decided to stay.

They have the typcial mexican assortment on the menu: burritos, tacos, quesadillas, etc. I got the carne asada burrito with crack sauce and dan got the pulled pork version. We got a bottle of water and buckled down for our wait. But after 25 minutes our food came! I was a bit surprised by that b/c other people who were there before us still hadn't been served. But i wasn't going to complain. The carne asada burrito($8 + $.50 for crack sauce) was delicious! The meat was incredibly juicy and well cut and seasoned. I know I had asked for crack sauce but I didn't feel like it was in my burrito, even though the burrito had a lot of other stuff going on in it. Dan had some kind of orange sauce that tasted like 1,000 island dressing that we thought was the crack sauce. The burrito was wet and the shell was not dried out, which is what I get from a lot of places around here. After trying the food here and seeing what the other Mexican options are in the 'hood, I completely understand why there would be a 50 min wait. I just wish they delivered to my apt.

No comments: