Sunday, April 11, 2010

Walter Foods Visisted 4/10/10 3.75 Forks

Walter Foods 253 Grand St(between Driggs Ave & Roebling St)
Although Walter Foods has been on my list for a while, I've never really felt super compelled to go. On this day, we didn't really have a choice as both our 1st and 2nd choice brunch places were closed for some reason. After we noticed that Magada's (dan's favorite place) was closed, I thought it would be fun to try going to Rye, which has been getting a lot of press lately. I had checked their menu online, they did have a brunch menu, so I just assumed that they would be open. However, when we got there, they were closed! Frustrated, we were just going to walk down the road and maybe check out the Robeling Tea House b/c I couldn't think of anything else.

But as we're walking I noticed Walter Foods. I thought, it's open, why not? And I'm glad we did check it out. In typical NYC fashion, it's one of those old fashioned parlors that focuses on whiskeys and has waiters with hipster facial hair. The brunch menu has a variety of actual egg-y dishes and sandwich options. They also had a great line-up for specials.
I got the crabcake benedict ($14) and an iced coffee ($3.50) and Dan got one of the specials: Salomon scramble (salmon, goat cheese and chives) and a bloody mary ($9) and regular coffee. We also split a side of sausage, which was 5 links. The benedict was delicious, but it did only come with 1 crab cake, which in hindsight was probably enough food. There was no muffin, it was basically a crabcake on top of a bed of arugula and tomato and a well poached egg. Usually benedicts come in pairs, which was what I was expecting, but this turned out fine when I added the sausage and coffee. Dan's scramble was amazing as well. The eggs were perfectly wet and fluffy and had just the right amount of seasoning.

I was definitely pleased with the food but when the bill came it was $59 with tax and tip, which honestly I think is a bit too much for brunch. I might consider going back for dinner but at the slightly elevated prices, I might not be running back.

No comments: