Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dumont Visited 4/24/10 1.5 Forks

Dumont 432 Union Ave,Brooklyn, NY 11206


DuMont is one of those places I really want to like. The outside patio area is almost nice enough to make me want to forget all the bad things about this place. Now I've been to DuMont before for dinner and while it was not mind-blowing, sometimes you just want a nice juicy burger or mac&cheese. I remember finding it slightly overpriced, but after looking at the brunch menu on-line, they looked affordable.

The brunch started out nice enough. We got a nice table outside and hot yummy donut holes right away. Then we waited...and waited...and waited, until I almost stood up and walked out. We had sat down for over 20 mins with no one coming to take our order, drink or food. People who were sitting across the restaurant who had come in after us were already getting their food and we hadn't even ordered. Our waitress was tending to other customers, but didn't once come over or make eye contact to say that she saw us. When we finally did order, I got the eggs benedict ($10) and white sangria ($9) in honor of Magda's. Dan got the eggs, grits, and chipotle sausage with a red sangria. So everything was fine until the table next to us, who not only sat down after us but ordered after us got their food first! I was so enraged and if I could have thought of a place nearby to eat at, I would have walked out at that point. But then our food came out pretty quickly afterwards. The food was fine. The eggs were runny and the potatoes were actually nice and crispy on the outside. While there were 2 eggs, it only came on 1 muffin, which I think is a cop-out. Dan thought his chipotle sausage was too oily and wasn't impressed with his meal overall. The sangria was also not that great, it didn't taste that strong and had a weird aftertaste, although dan pointed out that mine was an apricot flavor sangria, so that might have been it. Another thing that bothered me was that they didn't bring dan's coffee out til after everything else had come out. WTF?

The waitress was nice but mildly apologized for waiting but it wasn't enough for me. The total bill was $46, which was the same price we paid for our dinner at Umi Nom last night (granted we didn't order alcohol) and was much better experience overall. The the service wasn't an issue I might have given this place 2.5 Forks and consider going back, but at the very least I won't be back for brunch again.

No comments: