Tuesday, April 20, 2010

El Pollo Visited 4/19/10 2.5 Forks

El Pollo 291 5th Ave(between 1st St & 2nd St), Brooklyn, NY 11215

I have had great previous experiences with Peruvian food before at Pio Pio in the city and had read great reviews for this place. I figured I had walked past it so many times and the prices were pretty cheap that it was worth a try.

The main draw of Peruvian food is basically rotisserie chicken, rice and beans and this spicy green sauce. Unfortunately, I had already had a slice of pizza before this and Dan wasn't in the mood to split a chicken, so I had to order a 1/4 chicken for myself and he ordered the chicken avocado hero sandwich and a side of sweet plantains.

First off, the restaurant is really small and not really much in the way of decor but that's kind of what I expect from these types of chicken joints. There was only 1 other family there when we got there and they were wrapping up their meal, so I wasn't sure why it took so long for our food to come out. It might be b/c of delivery and pick up, but it still annoyed me.

When the food did come out, I was a bit disappointed with my chicken. I guess it's my fault for only getting 1/4, so they had to chop it up a bit but it just didn't seem as juicy as other chickens I've had. Certain parts were definitely juicy and showed the promise of what it could be, but overall, it just seemed like a regular piece of chicken. The rice and beans were good (kind of hard to mess that up) and the green sauce was OUT OF CONTROL spicy. Much spicier than any other green sauce I am used to but it's still like crack and you keep going back for more. Dan's sandwich tasted pretty good and he mentioned that the chicken was very tender. Although I give it 2.5 Forks, I would consider going back if I could get the whole chicken. The best part of the meal was it everything was only $19, you can't beat that, even if the meal wasn't stellar.

No comments: