Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gyu-Kaku Visited 4/17/10 4 Forks

Gyu-Kaku 34 Cooper Sq, New York, NY 10003


Dan and I had been wanting Korean food or Korean BBQ, but I wasn't really in the mood to trek up to Koreatown. I had remembered this place but I couldn't remember the name or address, so we headed for Ippudo as a compromise instead. As usual, the place was a zoo, but it was my fault for trying to get a table for 2 on a Saturday night at 8pm. The wait was 1 hour and 45 mins. So we said forget it and we were going to walk over to Hecho en Dumbo on Bowery. While we were walking over there, I noticed Gyu-Kaku was still open and I'm so glad that we noticed it.

Th inside is MUCH larger than I would have ever imagined. While the wait was 45 mins, we were willing to wait at the bar given that it was already 9pm and any other place was going to be just as long. We settled at the bar and I noticed that they had some pretty good happy hour deals on booze and food, so that's something to keep in mind.

When we finally got seat, we were overwhelmed by the bbq choices. The meats looked really good (but yet sounded the same) and then there were lots of choices of veggie and rice dishes. Instead we settled on the Geisha Special for 2 ($70) and it was amazing! It was actually too much food and I could have done without the miso soup and edamame, but that's ok. The meal came with miso soup, Gyu-Kaku Salad, edamame, sukiyaki bibimbap, prime rib eye ponzu, premium kalbi tare, harami miso skirt steak, garlic shrimp, asparagus, mushroom medley and s'mores for dessert! Phew!

The salad was light and refreshing...it had some kind of ginger-like dressing that wasn't overpowering and quite tasty. The bibimap was basically like a fried rice and I thought it usually came with egg and more veggies, but it was good to have it around to mix it up with all the meat we were eating. Then all the meats came out and it was overwhelming. I can't really remember what meat was what, but they were all really good and melt in your mouth. We went for the more raw/undercooked style, but it tasted fine and the dipping sauces that they came with made them taste even better. The garlic shrimp was also perfectly seasoned and tasty, but took a bit longer to cook. The veggies also took a bit longer to cook than we realized. The asparagus is wrapped in tin foil with a ton of butter, so just take a peak in the foil before assuming it's finished. I love love love mushrooms and I'm glad the medley came with the meal but they could have put more kinds in there. They had your usual button mushroom, some shitake and my favorite, golden mushrooms. But they didn't seemed to be marinated or seasoned, so it was kind of like just eating plain grilled mushrooms. By the time dessert came around I wanted to just unbutton my pants b/c I was so full. Luckily it was only 1 s'more each, which I honestly could have done with out. It was literally 1 marshmallow, 2 graham crackers and 2 pieces of Hersey's chocolate bar..something I could have totally made at home or at camp. I really enjoyed my time there and can see how it's even more fun with a group of people. There were tons of large groups there celebrating birthdays.

The only slightly annoying thing is that it's fairly close to NYU, so there are lots of kids there and since the booze is pretty cheap (we got a 300 ml bottle of unfiltered sake for $5), I can see how things could get rowdy.

Our waiter was quite attentive and the service there is very easy-going...they mix your salad and put it into bowls for you as well as mix the bibimbap and putting into personal bowls too. I think for $48/pp (including tax and tip), it was a great deal and experience. Given that the night before we spent the same amount at Sel de Mer and got half the food, I would gladly come here any day of the week.

No comments: