Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Harefield Road Visited 4/17/10 2 Forks

Harefield Road 769 Metropolitan Ave Brooklyn, NY 11226


After finding out that our neighborhood brunch staple, Magda's, was closed for renovations, we had to find a new place to eat. Since we had just gone to Sel de Mer for dinner the night before and I wasn't a huge fan of Mesa's brunch options, we decided to give Harfield Road another try. I had been there a few years ago for brunch and didn't remember it being memorable, and apparent it's still not.

The place is cute enough inside. The inside has a slightly nicer Irish pub look with nice wooden benches and a pretty large space further back. I think this would be a great place to grab drinks after work or just on a lazy weekend. But I would definitely not come back for the food. The brunch menu is set at $12 which includes an entree (a fairly large selection of your usual breakfast fare: eggs benedict, breakfast burrito, omelet, etc) and your choice of irish tea, mimosa or bloody mary. So it's a pretty good deal in terms of price and selection. I got the harefield eggs which was just eggs benedict with salmon instead of ham and Dan got the breakfast burrito. First of all, the food comes out really quickly, which usually makes me a bit suspect (unless it's a thai or chinese place!). The roasted potatoes were burned and incredibly overseasoned. Now I'm someone who usually salts her food BEFORE trying it but in this case I'm glad I didn't, otherwise I would probably have consumed my daily salt intake on this meal alone. Not only was it over-salted, it was just over seasoned with something spicy as well. While the eggs were poached well (they were perfectly runny when I cut into them, which is how a poached egg should be), the egg muffin was over toasted and it was really hard to cut. I felt like I was cutting cardboard. The salmon in the middle was fine, nothing to write home about, but a side of tomato or something else would have been nice on top of it. The breakfast burrito looked a bit more palatable and Dan finished the whole thing, so apparently I might have just ordered the wrong dish, but unless there are absolutely no other options, I'm not so sure I would go back from brunch.

No comments: