Sunday, May 9, 2010

Benjarong Visited 5/7/10 3 Forks

Benjarong Wintergreen Plaza, 885 Rockville Pike (Rt. 355), Rockville, MD 20852



This place is literally a 5 min drive from my mom's place, so it's a good go-to for thai when I am home. I got in late on Friday night (around 10pm) and our original idea was to just grab some Chipotle. But Chipotle was actually closed and I was surprised that Benjarong was still open open (in fact they close at 10:30pm on Fridays and weekends). I usually get the Thai Style Fried Mussels which is a bunch of mussels with batter and fried with egg and bean sprouts. But it's a bit pricey ($17) and it seemed a bit extreme for a 10:30pm meal. Instead, I opted for my usual chicken pad thai and my mom got #45, which was mussels, scallops, squid and veggies sauteed in a spicy basil sauce. The mussels were great, very plump and juicy...they looked to be new zealand mussels but I'm not 100% sure. The other seafood items on the dish were also quite good, but at $17, I wish there was more. The pad thai ($10) was good but not great. It was a bit on the dry side...I tend to like my noodles with more wet sauce on it but it was totally fine for what we were looking for. In general, the food is pretty good here but I think the prices are $1-2 more than they should be. I can get a better pad thai in New York City, where everything is more expensive, for $8.

No comments: