Monday, May 10, 2010

New Fortune Visited 5/8/10 2.5 Forks

New Fortune 16515 South Frederick Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

This is basically my go-to dim sum place when I am at home mostly because of its convenience and less so because I think the food there is amazing. Don't get me wrong, at times, the food can be good but I don't think it's the most amazing dim sum ever. But due to the lack of dim sum places near my mom's house, this is where we end up most Saturday mornings.

The place is basically one giant room with carts being pushed around and people screaming at you. Cleanliness is average here...I haven't seen anything out right dirty or gross but it could use some sprucing up a bit. In terms of variety of dim sum, it has it all. They have all my favorites (which I don't know how to say in English, so I won't list them here) and generally don't run out of food, even if you come later in the afternoon. My main gripe with the food is that at times it can be not as warm and fresh as I would like. This time, the shumai I had was a bit congealed and only lukewarm and there was something a bit off about the crystal shrimp dumpling. We also decided to try something new and got veggie dumplings this time and I was not impressed by them.

My mom complained about the service saying that in "proper" restaurants they should be clearing our plates and giving us new one more frequently. Honestly, in my opinion, this is not and will never be one of those types of restaurants and as long as they took our small plates away and filled our water glasses, I was fine. All in all, we had about 10 different dishes and I think the total bill came out to be around $40.

No comments: