Monday, May 10, 2010

Tachibana Visited 5/8/10 5 Forks

Tachibana 6715 Lowell Ave, McLean, VA 22101



Tachibana is only sushi place I have been to in MD/VA in years. I just love this place for its quality and freshness. And it's close to Tyson's Corner mall, which is always a plus.

The waitstaff is mostly very Japanese in the sense that they all barely speak English. The menu offers lots of other options besides sushi but I think they do sushi right. While I usually get a bunch of fancy rolls when I get sushi in New York, I tend to steer towards the sashimi here b/c it's just that good and it's more affordable/better value. I took my mom there for Mother's Day dinner but after having dinner there, I think I like having lunch there better, but dinner was still a great meal.

We ordered the sashimi deluxe ($34), which comes with 1 soup, 1 salad, 1 appetizer, and 1 dessert along with 4 pieces of really fresh tuna, 4 pieces salmon, 4 pieces of white fish, 3 pieces of yellowtail, a cucumber cup of clam and a separate bowl of lightly seared tuna in a soy sauce. We got the seaweed salad and shrimp/veggie tempura combo. What's nice for lunch is that they give you the option of beansprout salad, which is my favorite! But that is not an option for dinner for some weird reason. All the fish is really fresh and tasty but I just wish there was more, especially when you are splitting it with another person. I don't really like the clam option and for lunch it's actually more salmon, which is another reason why I like lunch better. We also got 2 rolls: spicy tuna ($5) and spicy scallop ($6.50). Both are made with the chopped up spicy mixture instead of large fish pieces with mayo. The tuna is inside out (seaweed on the outside) and smaller but the scallop roll is a bit bigger and inside out.

Part of me would like to branch out and try different things at the restaurant but I can't seem to not get the sashimi. While I'm sure there are other sushi places in the area that are great, this is still and will always be one of my favorite places when I go home.

No comments: