Sunday, May 30, 2010

Florentina/Magda/Lola Visited 5/29/10 TBD Stars

Florentina's aka Magda's International Cafe aka Lola's

454 Graham Ave, (between Frost St & Richardson St), Brooklyn

There are no stars or links to this place b/c I recently found out that they are going to close (again) and then re-open as a new restaurant/bar but they are going to keep somethings the same. I have a soft spot for this place b/c Dan and Prior love it and we tend to go here a lot for brunch. I know that I sometimes cringe when they mention it but in actuality, the food is decent, the sangria will kick your ass, and it's cheap.

The menu used to be much bigger but now it's reduced to half its size. I got an omelet with ham, cheese, and mushroom with a side of home fries. They used to have a specials page which at times was completely bizarre (like an asparagus and brie omelet) or really good. The food there all has a mexican twist to it so there are a lot of dishes with rice and beans and flour tortillas. To be honest, my omelet this day was not very good. The cheese wasn't melted and there was nothing special to my meal. They used to have this one omelet with avocado, onions, peppers, cheese and other things and it was really good. Dan got some sort of breakfast burrito that had this insanely spicy/smoky red sauce. I don't know how he managed to eat the entire thing.

The brings the boys here mostly is the sangria. We watch them make it and it's basically really cheap red wine mixed with brandy and triple sec and they use orange juice as a base. If they make a batch the night before, the fruit that is soaked in it is usually black and very potent. One sangria ($6) will generally take me out for the rest of the afternoon. Prior and Dan often go for 2 or even 3.

The waitress recently told us that they were going to re-do the restaurant again so that there will be a bar, so I will reserve final judgement for when the new place opens.

No comments: