Sunday, May 30, 2010

Wildwood BBQ Visited 5/29/10 2.75 Forks

225 Park Ave S (between 18th St & 19th St), New York, NY 10003

I've been to Wildwood before and normally wouldn't really think that I would need to go again, but I had a $25 BR Guest Gift card and didn't want to spend crazy amounts of money, so I thought I would give it another try.

The place is a giant room with large screen tvs and a general bbq feel. They have your traditional "jam jar" glasses and a large collection of sauces on your table. I was torn over getting a sandwich or a BBQ platter but I figured I should "splurge" on a platter. I got the pulled pork platter ($14.50) which came with 2 pieces of white toast and a choice of 1 side. I, of course, got the mac and cheese side. Dan got the brisket platter which came with corn bread and a side of creamed spinach ($15.50). Drink wise I got the Kentucky Cooler ($11) which was Makers, Firefly Ice Tea Vodka, peach, and lemonade. The drink was very heavy on the makers, so I had to wait for it to water down before I could have more of it. Dan got a pint of the Cold Ass Beer ($6), which tasted like regular beer and he got High West Rendez Vous ($12) whiskey. I assume that the pour was a regular 2 oz pour but it looked huge, almost like a 4 oz pour. The initial taste was pretty good but Dan wasn't a huge fan of it in the end.

The food came our very quickly. I had a small, but probably good size helping of pulled pork and the vinegar sauce came on the side. Pieces of it were juicy and good but other parts were just fine. I really did like my mac and cheese, it was extremely cheesy but maybe a bit too "grainy". I had a taste of Dan's brisket that I thought it was pretty good...they had asked him if he wanted it lean or wet and he asked for a combo but I wasn't sure if there was a huge difference. The cream spinach was good but when is creamed spinach not good?

I think what made me put this a shy under 3 stars was b/c I can't get Fette Sau out of my mind as a comparison when I eat BBQ and when we came home we were both incredibly de-hydrated.

No comments: