Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hachi Asian Bistro Visited 4/30/10 2 Forks

Hachi 631 Grand St
(between Leonard St & Manhattan Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11211


Hachi gets 1 fork for the decor and 1 fork for the mojito but that's about it. I had read that it was the sister restaurant to Nana in Park Slope and I remember thinking it was decent, so I thought I'd give a new place a try. The decor was pretty "trendy" complete with DJ and a bunch of Buddha statues and funky black and white wallpaper and a nice small garden area.

I need to remember that anything that lists its menu as Pan-Asian or Asian Fusion should be avoided b/c you can't do all those things right. The menu it a mix of thai, japanese and other random asian foods...it had pad thai, curries and sushi. We were in the mood for sushi so we chose 3 different special rolls ($6.95/each). The service was really nice and I think they try hard but they need to step up the food quality if they want people to come back. My first pet peeve was that when the sushi came out, it was only 5 pieces per roll. Now I think 6-8 pieces are standard unless it is a huge roll, which these were not. Then when I took a bite of one of the rolls, it completely fell apart on me. The rice was not sticky at all and not of sushi quality, which I think led to the pieces coming undone so easily. The 2 redeeming parts of the meal were the edamame (they gave us a TON of them, almost the entire bag) and the mojito was pretty delicious (a bit sweet but it didn't ruin the drink). The total bill was around $20/pp and I'm glad it wasn't much more than that. I'm bummed this place wasn't good b/c I think Williamsburg needs more good asian/sushi places.

No comments: