Sunday, June 20, 2010

Flatbush Farm Visited 6/20/10 2.5 Forks

Flatbush Farm  76 St Marks Ave, 6th Ave and Flatbush Ave, (between 4th Ave & 5th Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11217

I've been to Flatbush Farm before for my birthday last year and I thought that the food was pretty solid.  So when it came time to think of a place to go for brunch in Park Slope (there is almost no good places really in the 'hood for basic brunch), it seemed like it would be a good choice.  But it was probably not the best idea to go on one of the hottest days of the summer.  

First the walk there was just brutal.  We got there and we were already sweating like crazy.  They were able to seat us outside which originally sounded like a good idea but after sitting there for as long as we did, it wasn't the best idea in the end.  But I will say that the outside atmosphere is really beautiful and bigger than most backyard patios in Brooklyn.  The theme of Flatbush Farm is the ever-so trendy farm to table concept and the menu is often different from season to season.  All I want usually is your basic egg and pancake like dishes...they did have an omelet and 1 pancake dish on the menu but I wasn't overwhelmed by what was offered.  I got the omelet with ricotta and herbs, which came with a side salad and 7-grain toast ($10) and then a side order of sausage ($6).  Dan and Will both ordered the Barn Burger ($16) which was a burger with 2 huge pieces of bacon, a fried egg, and telggio cheese and a side of plantain hash.  Aarti got the Farmer's Breakfast (scrambled eggs, kale and plantain hash for $12).  My first gripe with this place was the service.  It was just super slow and our waitress just looked like she was not all with it.  Another pet peeve I have is if the table orders drinks, they should come out pretty quickly.  Instead, the drinks took a long time to come out (15 mins after ordering) and the food came out another 20-25 mins after that. At one point, I just stopped talking b/c I was so hungry.

When the food did come out, it was fine.  No fireworks, but good enough.  I will say that my eggs were very wet, which is exactly the way I like it but I thought that the herbs were very overpowering.  The sausages were also very salty and you could taste the casing, which I don't really like.  But I will say that the bite I had of Dan's burger was very good.  However, I think after he and Will both finished their burger, they instantly felt like they couldn't eat for the next week.  The total bill was around $77 (without tax and tip) which I thought was a bit high for brunch.  Oh and they also do not take AmEx, which was annoying.

No comments: