Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ghenet Brooklyn Visited 6/5/10 4 Forks

Ghenet Brooklyn  348 Douglass St, (between 4th Ave & 5th Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11217


One of the first Ethiopian places I went to was Ghenet in Soho, so I was really excited when they opened a branch in my 'hood.  If you've never had Ethiopian food, it's basically lots of spiced meat or veggies on top of a squishy/bread-like product.  I usually get one of the versions of the combinations, meat or veggie combos, b/c it offers a best variety of the different dishes. Otherwise, I think getting the individual dishes isn't really worth it b/c they range from $12-17 for each dish.  I think it would be pretty boring to just get 1 dish for a meal. 

Aarti and I split the veggie combo for 2 ($32.95 total).  This was huge and came with every veggie option on the menu (total of 8 dishes): it was mostly different versions of lentils and beans, a collard green dish, a green bean/carrot dish, cabbage and potato, and a spicy mushroom dish.  They all kind of look the same and in some cases, taste the same, but they are all really good.  The mushroom dish was very spicy but the other dishes were fairly mild.  The bread is the right consistency to sop up all the food and you can even use the bread base if you run out of the extra bread they give you. We ended up having a lot of leftovers, but we didn't think it would keep very well if we took it home.  I do wish that they would offer smaller/cheaper combos b/c it's really too much food for 2 people.  One way we were thinking was doing 1 meat combo and 1 veggie combo, which I might think about next time b/c the meat dishes are also quite tasty.  All in the all it was a great meal and relatively affordable, the only thing that bothers me is that they use the AmEx card holder but won't take AmEx.  Total bill (food+soda+tax+tip): $48

No comments: