Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mesa Coyoacan Visited 6/7/10 3.5 Forks

Mesa Coyoacan  372 Graham Ave, (between Conselyea St & Skillman Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11211

 I have been to Mesa many many times and I'm not sure why I haven't written about it before.  If you ask me to go to Mesa with you, chances are I'll probably roll my eyes.  And it's not because I don't like it, I do, but it's because it was the first decent/nice restaurant that opened on Dan's street in a long time and we would go constantly when it first opened about a year ago. 

It's amazing how one restaurant can be so different from another.  The previous restaurant here never had any customers and it always made me sad b/c I thought it was such a great space. I think the reason it didn't do very well was because it was a steakhouse and prices started in the low $20s and for most of the hipsters that live here, that's not really a viable dinner option.  Enter Mesa.  The space inside is really nice with those trendy Edison filament only light bulbs and a large communal table in the middle.  The food here is fancy Mexican without being too expensive.  Everything is in the $7-13 range.  I usually get the Enchiladas Verde with steak ($12) and a red sangria ($6).  At first it may seem like the enchiladas are pretty small, but after you finish all 3 of them, it actually does fill you up.  The green sauce is spicy but not knock your socks off spicy.  They sprinkle some tasty Oaxaca cheese and layer it with a small piece of avocado and red onion. The sangria is fine...it comes with strawberries instead of the usual assortment of fruit... I'm not in love with it but I'm also not a huge tequila drinker either.  Dan usually gets the fish tacos ($9 for 3) and I never really understood how 3 tiny tacos is enough but he swears it usually gets the job done. 


In the past, I got the ceviche, which I really didn't like there. It's tomato based and doesn't have the clean but tart taste I like with Peruvian ceviche.  Also, in the past, I've gotten their dessert there and they are all really really good.  I've had the churros ($4.50), which were baked really light and fluffy and comes with a nice warm side of chocolate.  But the best dessert is the Taquitos de fresa ($5)...it's like small taco like bites filled with strawberries, mango and other fruit with some warm caramel and other delightful sauces.  


I've also been here for brunch and honestly was not impressed.  It's a limiting brunch menu with your typical huevos rancheros, etc but there aren't a lot of other egg-based dishes and what I did have seemed small and not all that impressive compared to other brunch places. 

No comments: