Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pies N Thighs Visited 6/18/10 4 Forks

Pies N Thighs  166 S. 4th Street (between Bedford Ave and Driggs Ave), Brooklyn, NY


Pies N Thighs is probably one of the most talked about restaurants in Williamsburg these days.  It's been on the Today Show and in the NY Times recently, so I felt like I HAD to check it out, but sometimes you're just not in the mood for fried fatty food. 

I finally made it last Friday and I was expecting a long line, but the restaurant is actually pretty large with an indoor restaurant and then it extends into the back garden and then another room in behind that.  We were seated immediately with our choice of any available seat.  The menu is pretty limited in terms of entrees, you're choices are basically the fried chicken box or the pulled pork sandwich box ($11 and $10 with a choice 1 side).  Of course I had to get the fried chicken box since that is what they are famous for and I got a side of mac and cheese.  Dan got the pulled pork sandwich and side of potato salad and that day they had a fried green tomato appetizer special ($6). 

I've never had fried green tomato before and it was really really good.  It was covered in corn meal and then fried and it came with a side of green salsa, which was perfect.  The salsa was not very spicy at all but it was a great garnish to the dish since I think it needed something to go with it.  There were actually 5-6 pieces of big sized tomatoes so it was definitely well worth the $6.  In fact, I heard that after we got our fried green tomato to our table, they had just run out of it and it was only 7:45pm.  Now to the main dish, the fried chicken.  I feel like it's pretty hard to get anything fried wrong and this chicken was no exception.  It was pretty juicy and you get 3 pretty filling pieces.  I had overheard a man at the other table speaking and he had said that it wasn't up to the usual crack-addictive taste and the waiter had said that the normal Friday night cook wasn't there, so I wonder how different the "other" version would have been, but I still thought it was pretty good. The mac and cheese and potato salad (they used red potatoes which was light on the mayo and topped with fresh dill) were also very well done and the portions were fairly large.  By the time we were done with our meal (we had both completely cleaned our plates) we had no room for the pie portion of Pies and Thighs.  But the pie menu looked quite good ($4.50-$5.50 depending on the type) and maybe next time we will skimp on the sides and leave room for pie.

No comments: