Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Yama Sushi Visited 6/15/10 3.75 Forks

Yama122 E 17th Street, (between Irving Pl & S Park Ave)

I will be the first to admit that Yama isn't the most authentic sushi joint and it does have its faults (pieces are waaay to big for 1 bite and too much rice for the sushi and rolls) but it has a soft spot in my heart. It was one of the first sushi places I went to when I first came to New York and despite the ridiculously large pieces, they still taste really good.

I'm always shocked at how long the wait is at this place despite being around for so long.  And we even went early (7:20pm) on a Tuesday, but alas, it was still a 15-20 minute wait.  We started with a nice bottle of cold sake ($11) and opted for the sushi/sashimi combo ($23.75) and the special roll # 5 (salmon, scallion, and spicy mayo $8.75), special roll #7 (spicy scallop roll, $8.75) and the yellowtail jalapeno roll $9.75).  I had wanted to get the sushi/sashimi for 2 ($65) but I've had that before and it's really a LOT of food and I wanted to try a variety of rolls instead.

As I said before, the rolls are gigantic and definitely "Americanized".  The pieces are not fit for 1 bite but it's hard to not to finish it in 1 bite without ruining the roll and having it fall apart.  The yellowtail jalapeno roll really packs a punch.  They must have chopped up an entire jalapeno b/c Dan and I were on the verge of tears with each bite. We ended up taking some of the pieces out b/c it was too much.  The spicy salmon and scallop rolls were great. I am addicted to their spicy mayo..it's not even spicy, it's just delicious.  The sushi/sashimi combo was a bit of a disappointment given that I've seen the combo for 2 before. This one had 3 pieces of tuna, 3 pieces of red snapper, then 1 piece salmon sushi, 1 piece tuna sushi, 1 piece yellowtail sushi, 1 piece of another type of white fish, 1 piece shrimp sushi and a California roll.  The sushi pieces had a lot of rice on the bottom and a lot of wasabi underneath the fish.  I would have preferred a bit more sashimi in the combo or at least more than 2 kinds.  The service is pretty fast and nice there, so no complaints in that department. They have another location in the West Village that has a nice garden and is a more open feel than this basement restaurant, but the last time I went the food quality wasn't great.  Despite what I've said, I still do love this place and would come back here anytime. 

Total bill $79 with tax and tip.

No comments: