Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rye Visited 7/17/10 3.5 Forks

Rye 247 S 1st St (between Roebling St & Havemeyer St), BrooklynNY 11211


I had been wanting to try Rye for a while but just never seems to make it over (except the one time I tried to go for brunch and they were closed).  After a REALLY long day of moving and having a 30% Blackboard Eats coupon, I decided it was finally time to treat ourselves to dinner at Rye.


We went at 8pm on a Saturday so I was afraid that we would have to wait for a while, but even though it was pretty crowded, we were seated immediately in a nice cute corner table.  The decor is old school with lots of dark wood and dim lights.  The one thing I really did not like was the fact that it was SO loud in there. I could barely hear our waitress tell us the specials.  The menu itself is pretty simple with only a handful of dishes on the menu.  We started with the crab croquette ($9), which essentially like a giant crabcake with some watercress on it.  It was pretty good but not enough crab tasting for me.  For drinks, Dan got the Kings beer ($6), which was like a michelada but it had rum and they used Bud.  I had the Carol Cooler ($10), which was watermelon juice, basil, vodka and  another herb. It's normally made with gin but I'm not a huge gin fan and they were nice enough to substitute without giving me attitude. 


For entrees, I got the hanger steak ($18), which was cooked perfectly (medium rare, but closer to rare) and it came on a bed of sautéed spinach, which was cooked pretty well.  The meal itself was pretty simple but good tasting, but I couldn't help but feel like it could have used another side.  Dan got the special ravioli ($18), which had about 6 large pieces in a butter-y herb sauce.  The sauce was great and I eventually started dipping my steak in it.  For dessert, we got a steamed lemon cake, which came with some fruit on the side ($9).  It was indeed very lemon-y, although it didn't blow my mind, I thought it was a good way to end the meal.  The service was pretty attentive, my water was constantly re-filled and they took my card as soon as I put it down.  The total bill was $79 (which for a regular night out is a bit more than what I would like to spend)  but with my BBE coupon, it was $60.  I would definitely try brunch here and would come back whenever I was in the mood for simple American fare.  

No comments: