Wednesday, July 21, 2010

STK Visited 7/21/10 3.5 Forks

STK  26 Little West 12th St, New YorkNY 10014


So the only reason I went to STK was for a client dinner.  The place is uber trendy (how can you not be in the meat packing district?!).  I think the place used to be Tejune nightclub? The inside looks exactly like it used to be a club, complete with the hot model waitresses.  I started the meal with a chopped garden salad ($14), which was surprisingly fresh and light tasting.  I gobbled up the entire salad.  The other people in my group got the hearts of romaine, which looked like one giant piece of romaine lettuce with some freshly grated cheese on the side...frankly, it looks not that great to me.  Why would you ever just get 1 piece of lettuce?!


The entrée section is mostly different cuts of meat (sirloin, fillet, chop, bone in, etc).  I had the fillet (10 oz) medium rare ($39).  I also got the STK bold ($2) sauce on the side.  Presentation-wise, the plate was kind of sad looking.  It was just the meat with the side sauce in a cup on a white plate.  It just didn't look very beautiful, but when I bit into the fillet, it was delicious.  It was super close to being totally rare, which I personally didn't mind. The meat cut really well and the sauce was a great addition to the meal.  I couldn't finish the meal but was dying to just put the leftovers in my purse to eat later.  We had several sides ($9 each), mashed potatoes (which I initially mistook for mac and cheese, but it was very smooth and probably had 10 sticks of butter in it), sautéed spinach (decent, you could smell the garlic 2 tables away) and mac and cheese (this was what I was most excited about but was most disappointed by...it was kind of too wet and not gooey enough).  The other people in the party got the tuna (which looked very rare and healthy), skirt steak (which I was told was good, but look-wise seemed like something I could have made) and the fish of the day (which seemed like too thin of a cut).


The general atmosphere was very loud and just trying too hard to be hip.  Everyone seemed to either on a corporate card (lots of douchey looking Wall St. guys in ties and white shirts) or the painfully cool.  It was hard to have a conversation without screaming.  But the service was attentive but not too intrusive. 


Dessert wise we split the ice cream sampler, which was a vanilla, chocolate and cookies and cream on 3 separate cones.  It was cute and tasted good but for $9, it seemed overpriced.  I will say that we had a delicious bottle of red wine, but I have no idea what brand it was. 


The total bill came out to be ~$500 for 4 people, so obviously I wouldn't recommend unless you were a baller or had a corporate card. 

No comments: