Monday, July 26, 2010

Sea Visited 7/25/10 3.5 Forks

Sea  114 N 6th St, (between Wythe Ave & Berry St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

Ah, SEA.  What can I say? The location in the East Village (now closed) was one of the first restaurants I had ever been to when I first moved to NYC, so I will always have a soft spot for it. It really kicked off the concept of good cheap thai food in my book.

I have been to this location of SEA only a few times b/c it is just such a scene.  It huge, loud and way too "hip".  It only got worse after Sex and the City filmed there.  But I will admit that it does have that "wow" factor when you walk in with the buddha and lotus and water.  I have avoided this place for the past few years only b/c I can't deal with the crowds, and there are just as good thai places nearby.  But when Dan mentioned it last night, I thought, what the hell? Let's give it another try.

We get there around 6:45pm on a Sunday and it was packed! I was so shocked that after all these years it's still so crowded, but luckily we were able to snag a table right away.  We ordered the Emerald Vegetable dumplings to start and then Dan and I decided that we were going to order out of our comfort zone of pad thai and pad woon sen.  I get the Seafood Rice Pot ($14), which had squid, shrimp, white fish fillet, and vegetables in a brown gravy sauce on a bed of rice.  Dan got almost the same thing but with a spicy sauce.  The thing about places like this is that the food comes out super quickly.  The dumplings came out 5-7 mins after we ordered.  To be honest, the dumplings were not good at all.  They were very doughy and had no taste to it.  Luckily, the main dish was a bit better.  First of all, the portions there are huge...almost unfit for 1 meal.  There was a lot of seafood on my dish which was great...but a bit too much squid, which is what Dan said about his meal too.  I had envisioned my meal coming in a hot clay pot but instead it was served in this weird mini wok on top of a plate, but there was food spilling out of the mini wok in to the plate, so it was a bit hard to get everything in one place.  I thought it was pretty decent and I was happy that it wasn't just a lot of rice with a little bit of seafood, it was quite the opposite.

Unlike Le Barricou, the waiter, while super nice, wasn't too attentive and they never re-filled my water, which is kind of key when you are eating food with MSG in it.  While I will continue to stay away from this place during peak hours, I would come back every now and then just to make myself feel hip again.  Total bill with tax, tip and drinks $53.

No comments: