Monday, July 26, 2010

Le Barricou Visited 7/25/10 3.25 Forks

Le Barricou  533 Grand St, (between Union Ave & Lorimer St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

In my continued quest for more brunch options, I decided to try Le Barricou after hearing about it from Paige.  The walk was a bit further than what I would like to walk in the morning. 
 
It's a super cute restaurant in the middle of an "up-and-coming" road, Grand Street.  The decor is designed to be like a Parisian bistro and it is indeed super cute inside.  The best thing was that they had the A/C and fans on full blast during the heat wave, so I give them high marks for keeping their customers happy.  Our waitress was full-on French, even lapsing into French during our ordering.
 
They offer you a basked of croissants before our meal and in all honesty, I kind of wished it was warm and right out of the oven, but instead they were cold and tasted like they had been sitting out for a bit.  The menu has classic brunch items (lots of omelets, benedicts, etc).  I was on the verge of ordering the eggs benedict when the waitress mentioned the specials, which all sounded great.  I got the "free range omelet" with mozzeralla, asparagus, and heirloom tomoatoes ($12) and a side of bacon ($4).  Dan got the Norweigen benedict, which just had smoked salmon instead of ham ($11) and some weird fancy drink that ended up being pink ($10).  The waitress actually gave me the drink first b/c she thought it was for me, ha! 
 
The omlete came out and it was HUGE, it must have been a 5 egg omelet.  It came with a side of potatoes and a side salad.  I loved that the waitress gave us ketchup and mustard without asking b/c I hate asking for ketchup for my omelet makes me feel a bit low class sometimes.  The omelet had so much potential with the ingredients they used.  The eggs definitely tasted good and they were quite fluffy, but I would have liked a bit more seasoning.  The tomoatoes were good but I didn't feel like they were heirloom quality.  The asparagus used was just the stems, which was disappointing b/c the stems are the best part of the vegetable and I didn't think the mozz worked too well...it wasn't gooey enough. 
 
The best part of the meal was the bacon.  Oh my.  It was perfectly cook..they were huge fatty pieces.  I can't explain how amazing they were, they definitely weren't the dry shrivled pieces you get from other places.  Dan mentioned that the eggs for his benedict were poached well and they looked runny and good.  Unfortunately, I had too much food going on that I barely ate the potatoes and salad...from what I did have, they were also quite good.  The other good part of the meal was the service.  It was almost borderline too attentive.  They must have re-filled our water and coffee 15 times. 
 
After I came home and thought about my meal, I wasn't as satisfied as I would have liked with a meal like that, but I would definitely go back and try other things on the menu.  By the time we left the place, it was totally crowded and backed with hipsters.  Our total bill was $50 with tax and tip.

1 comment:

paige said...

They have such good bacon! And the coffee is next level delicious!