Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jimmy's Diner Visited 7/24/10 3.25 Forks

Jimmy's Diner  577 Union Ave, (between Frost St & Richardson St), BrooklynNY 11211


For my first weekend living with Dan, I wanted to try something that wasn't one of the usual places we always go to in the 'hood.  It would be nice to expand our breakfast/brunch options.  I found Jimmy's on Yelp and I thought that it was a pretty good choice. 


It's a pretty small diner (there's probably no more than 10-12 seats and then there is a counter you can eat at).  The menu is just good creative American food.  For breakfast they had these things called Breakfast Bowls, which is a lot of breakfast like food crammed into a bowl, lots of different breakfast sandwiches, egg scrambles and pancake options.  They also had a few tasty specials.  I got the grits and eggs ($6) which was a medium bowl full of grits, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, and sausage.  I would not recommend eating it on a hot day, which is what I did.  I literally sweated through my whole meal.  But grits were good (not as good as the ones I had in New Orleans) but I thought the sausage was a bit too seasoned and it had a lot of caraway seeds in them, which I am not really a huge fan of.  I ate probably 1/2 of the bowl and couldn't eat anymore. Dan got a scramble with sour cream, beans, cheese, and tomato with a side of grits and corn bread.  He mentioned that the corn bread was pretty tasty and the eggs were fine but not out of this world. 


The rest of the dinner/lunch menu sounded pretty good...lots of different types of burgers (10+), big salads, and other good ole american diner type of food.  Our waiter was super peppy and friendly and he seemed to know a lot of the locals there.  The only draw back is that it's cash only but our total bill was $22, so that's not too bad. 

No comments: