Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Commodore Visited 8/6/10 3 Forks

The Commodore  366 Metropolitian Ave, BrooklynNY 11211


Eater has described The Commodore as a "gastrodive" and I couldn't agree more.  It's really just a divey bar that happens to serve better than average bar food.  


It's located where Black Betty used to be and the inside looks a lot like Welcome to the Johnsons in the LES.  The decor is very 70's with wood side paneling and old tvs and miller hi-life signs.  There is no waitress or hostess...you order at the bar and then they give you a number and you seat yourself.  There is one person who brings you the food and then cleans the tables.  Since it's kind of a free for all for seating, it can get to be a bit annoying when you want to eat but there is no where to sit.  Luckily, we were able to snag a small booth in the main room.  The menu is pretty limited with some sides and 4 main dishes such as the fried chicken platter (3 thighs and biscuits for $10), the hot fish sandwich ($9), adult cheese ($6) and burgers.  I ordered the hot fish sandwich and a corn/tomato salad ($6) and Dan got the adult cheese sandwich.  They do have a nice assortment of cocktails that are fairly reasonably priced.  I got the frozen mojito ($9) which really tasted exactly like a mojito slushie.  They had a bunch of nice sounding cocktails that I would definitely try next time.


Our food actually came within a reason amount of time.  The corn/tomato salad was surprisingly fresh tasting.  It's totally not something you would expect from a dive bar.  It was white corn with cherry tomatoes, basil, and salt/pepper.  My fish sandwich was a piece of deep fried catfish (I think) with a hot and spicy sauce and sliced cucumbers on a sesame seed bun.  It was actually pretty big in size and was a nice combination of flavors.  Dan's adult cheese was a grilled cheese sandwich with a bunch of weird cheeses that I couldn't figure out but tasted really good together.  It did have a slightly mushy consistency but I thought that the flavors all blended really well together.  I wish I had ordered more food because a sandwich with no sides isn't really a very filling meal, but I guess they were relatively cheap so I should have just ordered a side of fries to share. 


I think the food has great potential but it's in the wrong setting.  I would come back for drinks only and only eat there when it's not completely overrun by hipsters, which may be never. 

1 comment:

Rain Delay said...

Query: When would a restaurant in Williamsburg not be overrun with hipsters? Complaining in this manner is tantamount to going to India and complaining that the restaurant you are eating in is overrun run by the good people of India.