Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bugaboo Creek Visited 9/3/10 1.5 Forks

Bugaboo Creek  15710 Shady Grove Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Every time I come home I have a list of the usual places I go to: Pho 75, Takshibana, Dim Sum, and ordering crabs.  But this time my mom kept telling me about this "great deal" that her friend was raving about and she even went for a "test run" at this place before I came home.  So I felt bad not going, so I thought I would give it a try. 

Right when we pulled up to this place, I knew it was going to be bad.  Everything about it screamed CHAIN restaurant and bad chain restaurant at that.  It looked like a bad version of Outback, if that's even possible.  But again, I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt since my mom said it was ok the last time she went.  The place has all these fakes mooseheads and was full of kids and older people.  The menu is full of your typical chain restaurant food: nachos, spinach dip, burgers, etc.  We all split an order of the spinach dip to start ($7.95).  My mom had these coupons for lobster specials ($15.99), so that's what we all ordered...it was originally $24.99, which after eating the meal is absolutely ridiculous overpriced.  On paper the lobster dinner sounded like a good meal:  1 1/4 lb lobster, a side salad, corn and choice of 1 side.  In an effort to be healthy I got a side order of steamed broccoli instead of fries or mashed potatoes. 

We waited a bit for our food to come out and then it did, it was just bleh looking.  The corn looked like it had been run over by a truck and could not hold a light to the yummy farmer's market corn that I have been eating at home.  The lobster felt more like 1/4 lb instead of 1 1/4 lb...I was done with it in about 5 minutes.  The salad was actually pretty good and the broccoli was fine (I mean, how do you mess up steamed veggies).  When Dan's meal came out, his butter dish literally had 1 drop of butter.  Even our waitress looked at his meal and was like WTF? and was super embarrassed by it.  Our waitress was fine and nice enough but generally forgot lots of stuff and just seemed overwhelmed on a Friday night. 

I could tell that most of us didn't like our meal at all and I felt bad to insult it given how much my mom had talked about it, but I think she recognized that it wasn't the best meal.  The total bill with the coupon was $100, which I still think is outrageous given the quality of the food, but I guess that's what we get for going to a chain restaurant hidden behind a Red Lobster.



No comments: