Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Egg Visited 9/3/10 4 Forks

Egg  135 N 5th St, (between Bedford Ave & Berry St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

I have been to Egg once before and really liked it.  But for some reason, Dan had blacklisted it and we never went again.  But this time, we were looking for a breakfast place on a weekday and I had somewhere convinced Dan that Egg was the only place open. 
 
Even on a weekday, Egg was pretty crowded (alright, I will admit it was the Friday before Labor Day weekend and everyone was not at work).  I like that instead of trying to find a hostess, you just sign yourself in and they go down the list.  Luckily, we were seated after about 15 minutes because the other 2-fer wasn't a complete party yet.  The menu there has a lot of great traditional breakfast food: grits, hash, waffles, biscuits and gravy, etc.  I was torn between the biscuits and gravy or the grits and eggs ($9).  In the end I thought that grits and eggs were slightly "healthier", although I'm sure it's probably pretty debateable.  Dan ordered the duck hash ($12) and a french press coffee ($2.25).  I normally hate places that don't let you have unlimited coffee re-fills, but I can't help be won over by their cute french press coffee and I guess I can see why it wouldn't have free re-fills. 
 
The grits and eggs came out and they were delicious.  I got my eggs scrambled and they were done perfectly wet and not overcooked (and I didn't even have to tell them how to cook them).  I wasn't sure if the grits had cheese in them, but they were pretty flavorful and tasty.  The kicker was that the meal came with a side of 2 sausage patties that were really well done.  All of these items combined were salty and savory and extremely filling.  I had one bite of Dan's duck hash and it was cooked very well too.  The duck was very moist and the potatoes were just right (a bit crispy on the outside).  Usually whenever Dan gets duck at a restaurant it never seems to come out right, especially in a breakfast setting, but this hit the spot that even Dan admitted that he liked his dish.  While I love the food here, I can see how the wait and long lines here over the weekend can become intolerable, so I'm not sure when my next meal will be here, but hopefully it will be soon.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I think I went there with you many years ago?

PrettyPoodle said...

yes, you did. That was actually the last time I was there.