Friday, October 1, 2010

1 or 8 Visited 10/1/10 3.75 Forks

1 or 8  66 S 2nd St, (between Kent Ave & Wythe Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11211

 I have no idea why this place is called 1 or 8, but this place is definitely different.  It's in South Williamsburg, a bit far from all the action but it's not incredibly hard to get to.  From the outside, it looks like a small unassuming restaurant but then you turn a corner and you see that it's this huge loft like space that's decorated in all white.  It's a bit creepy and makes you feel like you can't spill but after sitting for a while I kind of got used to it.  The kitchen is open for the entire restaurant to see and the whole vibe is extremely futuristic. 

The menu is not your typical neighborhood sushi joint with lots of rolls.  The menu has a few of traditional dishes but they put a spin on it.  We ordered the edamame ($4) to start (which in general I'm usually a bit opposed getting in a restaurant knowing that an entire bag of edamame costs about $2) and the salmon tartare ($9).  The edamame was fine, they were a bit overcooked since I generally like my edamame crunchy and slightly undercooked.  The tartare came out next...I love tartare but I forget that it's generally more about the flavor rather than being filling.  This came topped with pear, some kind of red beet-like ingredient, and 3 pieces of dried fruit (orange, apple, and pear).  The flavor was quite clean and refreshing but it was chopped so finely that it was a bit hard to get on the fork.  I wish they served it with some small chips or something to help pick it up.

Next we ordered 3 special rolls to share: the double salmon, yellow mango, and mushroom tuna roll ($9/each).  The interesting thing is that each came with their own dipping sauce, which is something I've never seen anywhere.  The double salmon is smoked salmon, cucumber, and salmon skin served with a wasabi cream sauce.  I thought that the wasabi sauce would be my favorite but I actually didn't like it too much.  The whole thing actually tasted like a Philly roll  and once I decided that I couldn't get the idea that the cream sauce tasted like cream cheese.  The mushroom tuna roll was surprisingly good even though I generally don't like veggies in my rolls.  This had sauteed wood ear mushrooms, red pepper, asparagus, topped with tuna and it was served with a aji amarillo sauce, which basically tasted like spicy mayo.  The mushroom and asparagus really gave it some interesting texture but you still got the tuna flavor coming through so it didn't totally feel like you were just eating a veggie roll.  But my favorite of the 3 rolls was the yellow mango roll - yellowtail, mango, jalapeno, served with a cilantro sauce.  The cilantro sauce reminded me of the cilantro chutney that I get with Indian food, but it was surprisingly delicious with the roll.  I barely used my soy sauce during this meal.  The fish in all the rolls were really fresh and in more traditional Japanese style the rolls are not very large...more bite sized, so I didn't really leave super full.  But I definitely left like the quality of the food was pretty good.  It's just a bit pricier than your typical neighborhood sushi place, but at least you know you're paying for slightly better quality .  Don't get me wrong, sometimes all I want is slightly cheap-o neighborhood sushi, so both these type of places have a reason to exist in my mind.  We also ordered 2 glasses of sake ($9 each) because the price of the bottles were pretty expensive - all over $25. Our total bill with tax was $37/pp, so not crazy expensive but while I'm sitting here I am contemplating getting some ice cream down the street.

No comments: