Sunday, October 3, 2010

Arirang Visited 10/2/10 3.5 Forks

Arirang  32 W 32nd St, (between 5th Ave & Broadway), New York, NY 10001

 First off, this place is a bit hard to find.  It's on the 3rd floor of a very generic looking office building in Koreatown.  You'll see signs for it outside, but when you walk into the building every floor has a different Korean restaurant, so I can see how it gets to be a little confusing. 


What's different about this place very other places in Koreatown is that they only have a variety of noodle soups. So don't come here expecting bar-b-q, bim bim bop or any of the other stuff you can get in the other places in the 'hood.  We were seated in the back and I noticed that everyone here was Asian, which is usually a sign of a good ethnic restaurant.  We served us sides of kimchi immediately, which was fine but I usually like all the other small dishes that you get in a Korean restaurant like bean sprouts and other pickled dishes.  I personally am not a huge fan of kimchi, so I didn't love the sides.  The restaurant is well known of their chicken noodle soups, so I got the one with long noodles and dough flakes.  Dan got the one with just flakes and Aarti and Will got the veggie version ($9.45 each).  We had wanted a basic scallion pancake, but it only came with seafood, so instead we opted for the kimchi pancake ($13) instead.  While we waited for our food, we were served what I thought was water but was actually very light flavored tea.  Now it's not really a big deal and in hind sight it tasted fine, but when you drink something expecting one thing but getting something else, your mind kind of convinces yourself that you don't like it even though it's perfectly fine.  So the whole time I just avoided drinking my "water/tea".

Our pancake came out and it was enormous, the size of the entire plate.  I thought the pancake was fine...I like the ones in Chinese restaurants a bit better.  I wasn't a huge fan of the kimchi in it and the pieces of scallion/green onions were too big.  I would have liked it a bit crispier with less batter.  Then our soups came out and oh my, the bowl were the size of my head.  If I come back here, I will definitely share 1 bowl between 2 people.  They come out steaming hot and I was sweating for the first 20 minutes of my meal.  The soup base was pretty good and the noodles were home made and had a udon like texture to it, which I liked.  I wasn't sure what to make of the dough flakes as they were literally just slabs of dough cut from the same one they used for the noodles.  Even after you're eating for what seems like an eternity, there's still so much food.  There were bits of shredded chicken and it would have been better with more chicken in it.  I did like the thinly shred of green onions on top, it gave the soup a nice crisp to an otherwise heavy meal.  The veggie dish was the same except it came with heaps of spinach on top and other veggies, so it looked to be a good healthy alternative.  I didn't finish my soup but at the end of the meal I could feel all the dough expanding in my stomach.  The total bill with a bottle of soju, tax and tip came to $21/pp, which is a pretty good deal.

No comments: