Sunday, October 3, 2010

Aurora Soho Visited 10/3/10 3.5 Forks

Aurora 510 Broome St, Manhattan, NY 10024

 I had heard good things about the Williamsburg branch of this restaurant so I was excited to try this for brunch with the b-school girls.  Apparently this place was also picked because it was baby friendly, which it certainly was as when we got there, there was already a table with a baby there. 


The brunch menu is mostly a price fixe ($15) of an entree, coffee or tea and your choice of 1 cocktail, which is a pretty great deal.  All the entrees sounded brunchy and good.  Each person at our table got a nice variety of dishes from the menu.  I got the eggs florentine, dan got the duck hash, Kristin got the french toast, Jenn got the spinach frittata, Vivi got the eggs benedict and Erik got a salmon dish.  I liked the fact that the brunch cocktails variety was a bit more than your typical bloody mary or mimosa.  I got a strawberry puree and champagne cocktail which was very sweet but worth trying.  

My one pet peeve with our experience there was the slow to almost non-existent service.  When we got there, there was only 1-2 other tables that were full, so you would think that our waiter would be pretty attentive.  But instead, we got our cocktails and then he never brought out our coffees/teas, which,during a weekend brunch meal, I think is a pretty big no-no.  Our food came out relatively quickly and they all looked pretty good.  I had no real complaints about my meal, although it only came with 4 small potatoes, I would have preferred either no potatoes or a larger portion.  Having only 4 is too much of a tease, but the 4 that I did have were pretty good. The eggs were poached correctly and there was a lot of spinach on each muffin.  I heard that the French Toast dish was pretty sweet and tasty.  We only finally got our coffee after I asked our waiter about it and even then they completely forgot Erik's coffee.  While the food was fine and a good deal, I was kind of hungry less than 2 hours later.  Dan and I actually came home and grilled some burgers when we got home a few hours later.  While I listed this under Italian, our brunch food was pretty typical American style. I believe the lunch/dinner menus are much more Italian focused.  Total bill was $19/pp.

No comments: