Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lodge Visited 10/5/10 2 Forks

Lodge  318 Grand St, (between Havemeyer St & Marcy Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11211

 A bunch of us met up here for a surprise party for Prior last night (Surprise!) and it was great in the sense that they were very accommodating and it wasn't too noisy in the restaurant, which I think are two key elements to a good group dinner.  The decor was true to its name in that it had a bunch of antlers and wood paneling and all the drinks are served in the ever-so trendy jam/mason jar.  


Conceptually, I liked what the menu was offering, which was basically heart-clogging southern food.  There was mac and cheese, burgers, pulled pork, fried chicken, hanger steak, pork chops...you get the idea.  Price-wise, it was pretty reasonable, I think the most expensive item was the $24 hanger steak, but everything else was generally around $14.  I was really really drawn to the mac and cheese and when I saw the other table get it I wanted to leap over the table and offer them $5 for just a bite.  Instead I opted for the burger with cheddar and a side of tater tots ($14).  Tater tots!!! That's what put me over the edge.  I really wished more places offered tater tots because they really bring back memories and they are just plain awesome.  The waitress there was nice but almost seemed almost too apologetic for all the restaurant's short comings that it was kind of annoying.  Lindsay wanted to order the whole trout but instead of hush puppies she wanted to sub it with something healthier like brussel sprouts.  In most places you'd think they'd say, "ok, but it's an extra $1-2".  Instead, here the waitress said it wasn't possible.  WTF? How can you not sub out a SIDE dish? Lindsay even offered to pay the difference to which the waitress said "we can't take substitutions because the price of the side is baked into the total price" - that's when Lindsay pointed out that the price difference was only $1 if you had ordered them as separate sides.  The waitress knew she had no real leg to stand on and apologized but couldn't offer any help, so Linds had to just order a side of sprouts for $5.  The waitress insisted that she still bring out the hush puppies, which made me kind of suspect that the meal is pre-cooked and then warmed up in an oven when ordered.  The waitress then apologized for having a slightly confusing wine list, which said it was half off but it wasn't clear if the price was already half off or if you take 50% the listed price.  She kept saying how stupid the menu was.  umm, ok. 


We then ordered another round of drinks and I got the basil lemonade ($10) which was basil vodka and lemonade.  On paper it sounds pretty good, but when it came out the was so overly sweet that I couldn't even finish it, which is saying a lot for someone like me who can eat a bag of sour patch kids in 5 minutes, including the sugar at the bottom.  The basil flavoring was very strong but it wasn't clear how much vodka was actually in it.  Our food came out in a relatively quick fashion and I was so excited to have a juicy burger and TATER TOTS!  My first impression of the burger was that there was too much bun.  It wasn't thick, it was just too wide and that is one of my pet peeves for burgers.  The first bite was good but then I slowly started to notice that my bun was disintegrating before my eyes.  The bread couldn't hold any moisture and pretty soon the entire bottom of my bun had fallen to pieces. Boo. Let me tell you it's no fun to eat a burger with no bun with your hands.  The burger was also majorly over salted, which turned out to be a theme for the night.  Next I moved on to the TATER TOTS and while they were cooked perfectly (very crisp but not dried out) there was so much salt on them that I thought I was eating a salt lick.  I was seriously so bummed out that I couldn't eat them that I kept trying to go back for more but was so dehydrated at the end of my meal that I drank an entire bottle of water.  I brought Dan home some left over pulled pork and he also mentioned that it was also incredibly salty, but he did say the mac and cheese was pretty good. Damn, I knew I should have gone with the mac and cheese!  Total bill ended up being around ~$36/pp which wasn't too bad even everyone got drinks and an entree and that good times were had by everyone. 

No comments: