Saturday, December 18, 2010

6th Street Kitchen Visited 12/17/10 4 Forks

6th Street Kitchen  507 E 6th St, (between Avenue A & Avenue B),New York, NY 10009

 I was afraid to suggest a restaurant this time around because I had been having a streak of crappy restaurants.  Although 6th Street had been on my list for a bit, I didn't want to suggest it, but then Aarti also independently suggested it, so I felt like we had to go.  I had actually been to this place years ago when it was called OG, so I definitely got a sense of familiarity when I walked in.  The menu here is American tapas food, which reminds me a lot of Traif, one of my favorite restaurants in Brooklyn.  The waiter was super nice and friendly and made our eating experience very pleasant.  He informed us that from 6-7pm it's Happy Hour for sliders:  the chorizo sliders are $2 each.  Although it seemed like there weren't a ton of options, the items we got more than made us happy and full.  Our waiter suggested that we order 2 dishes each, so we got the beet salad, the mushroom risotto, fish tacos and 2 sliders.  I'm generally not a huge fan of beets but this one was done well as it was topped with lots of fresh dry herbs and goat cheese.  Next the fish tacos came out and they were AMAZING.  There were 2 of them and the fish was very lightly, but perfectly breaded.  It was more tempura style and you could definitely taste the fish through the tempura batter.  It was topped with delicious aioli mayo and red cabbage.  Although I usually think 2 tacos aren't enough, this was extremely filling and light tasting.  The mushroom risotto came out next and was creamy and had nice chunks of cremini mushrooms.  The chorizo sliders were great and super filling.  They came on a potato slider with a very generous chorizo patty and cheese.  It was really juicy with a right amount of spice.  You can also order a regular entree of sliders for $12, but to only have 2 for $4 was perfect if not almost too much.  The only dish that I didn't love was the dessert.  We were going to get the chocolate cake but our waiter told us that the rocky road ice cream sandwich was better.  So we got it and it's basically 2 giant ginger/chocolate chip cookies with rocky road ice cream in between.  I thought that the cookie was too hard and it was hard to split in half.  We ended up just eating the ice cream and cookie separately, which kind of defeated the purpose to getting it as a sandwich.  Our total bill for 2 people was $47, which I thought was a pretty good deal considering all the different dishes we got and how full we were when we left. I would love to come back here and try other small plates. 

No comments: