Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bombay Talkie Visited 12/7/10 3.75 Forks

Bombay Talkie  189 9th Ave, (between 21st St & 22nd St), New York, NY 10011


I really love Indian food but never seem to have it too often.  I had been holding on to this BBE coupon for a while, so when my friend Swaroopa and I decided to have dinner, we thought it would be a good time to try it out.  It's in a super cute part of Chelsea that I don't go to that often, but as I was walking there I realized how nice of a neighborhood is it.  Most of the Indian places that I've been to are a bit on the "edgy" side (i.e. not fancy), so this place was a real change.  It's quite trendy inside complete with a mural, fine plating and fancy cocktails.  The front page of the meal is "street food" or appetizer type foods and then the 2nd and 3rd page are entrees (one side for vegetarians and another side of non-vegetarians, which is a nice touch when you are eating out with a vegetarian).  The prices were a bit higher than I normally pay for Indian food, but I guess that's what you get when you're in a slightly more upscale area.  I got the Biryani with lamb ($18) and Swaroopa got the vegetarian kati roll ($10) and Dosa ($10).  Typically I would share a bunch of dishes with who I am with, but this time it just made more sense to do our separate things, but there were a bunch of dishes that did sound delicious.  

The Biryani was listed as the Bombay Talkie special, so how could I not get it?  I've never had it before and this was described as lightly spiced lamb (or chicken) with mint, coriander, coconut milk, basmati rice, and cashews.  In all honestly, it tasted really good but I didn't get a feel for all of these different ingredients.  I usually have a pretty sharp palate, but I didn't taste any coconut milk and the only mint seemed to have been in the yogurt-like cooling agent that came on the side.  It was almost more like a Indian fried rice with lamb.  Despite not tasting like what it said, I did really enjoy it.  While I didn't have any of Swaroopa's food, she seemed to like the Dosa but wasn't a huge fan of the kati roll, thus the slightly lower rating.  The total was originally $41 (which seems a bit high for only 2 appetizers and 1 entree), but with the BBE discount it was only $28!  I would come back but maybe order a few more smaller dishes to share.  It's definitely a nice change from the dive-y Indian places on 6th street (although those places always have a place in my heart).        

No comments: