Friday, December 3, 2010

Bozu Visited 11/29/10 3 Forks

Bozu  296 Grand St, (between Roebling St & Havemeyer St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

Ever since I came back from Thailand and Cambodia I was having a serious hankering for sushi.  So when Dan had suggested sushi I was thrilled.  Honestly, I would have been perfectly content with a neighborhood divey place, but Dan suggested something nicer, so I was fine with that.  I had taken him to Bozu for his birthday a few years ago and remember really liking it, so I was excited to go back.
 
We get there around 7pm on a Monday and it was pretty empty.  I have always like the decor of this place, even the outside (which is pretty hidden).  The inside is very dark looking with exposed brick on one side and a large sit down square sushi bar in the middle and then all these cool looking red maskes hanging from the ceiling.    The menu is not your traditional sushi place.  They have a bunch of small plates, hot dishes, and other tapas and then they have a small variety of sushi "bombs" and sushi rolls in the back, but it's not a huge long list and it's kind of different from your typical "spicy tuna roll" - although they do have a version of their own.  One of the first things we notice is that all the sake there was pretty expensive.  The cheapest bottle was $26, so we both ended up just getting a glass ($8 for mine and $12 for Dan's, so I guess in retrospect spending an additional $6 for more sake wouldn't have been so bad).  We started with the seaweed salad  ($5) which was fine, kind of your standard salad.  We orderd 4 differnt bombs/rolls: the salmon/sea urchin special ($9), the hotate bomb ($6), the mexican bomb ($6), and a guacamole tuna roll ($6).  I loved the salmon/sea urchin special.  I have been wanting to try sea urchin for a while and this totally melted in your mouth and it was a nice combination with the fresh tasting salmon.  I thought the the two bombs we got were fine, but they were a bit heavy on the rice and for $6, we only got 3 bombs each, which I thought was too little.  For $6, they should at least offer you 6 pieces! I mean, that's usually standard and in some places they even offer you 8 pieces.  The mexican bomb did have a nice kick with the green tomoato sauce, but I'm not sure I really loved it on my food.  The tuna roll was good but frankly it just tasted like a giant piece of tuna in a roll.  They don't have giner with their sushi, instead they have a homemade pickled cabbage/beet (?) side.  The cutest part of the meal was the soy sauce: they had 3 options, 1 without wasabi, 1 with a little bit and one that was basically wasbi with a little bit of soy sauce.  Of course Dan and I go straight for the strongest one and it did not disappoint.
 
I'm can't remember why I lliked it so much the first time, maybe it was because we ordered a lot more food because it was Dan's birthday, but this time we definitely left feeling hungry.  We actually planned what our snack would be while we were still at the table.  For $68 (with tip and tax), I definitely don't feel like I got my money's worth, but it's still a cute place to check out if you're not starving.

No comments: