Saturday, December 11, 2010

Le Da Nang Visited 12/10/10 3 Forks

Le Da Nang  75 2nd Ave, (between 4th St & 5th St), New York, NY 10003


This place used to be Sea Thai, which was one of the first thai restaurants I had been to when I moved to New York and it was a pretty damn good place to eat too.  When I heard it was closed, I was pretty sad, but then it became Le Da Nang, which is supposed to be a Vietnamese restaurant.  I thought I would give it a try since I love Vietnamese food and the location is pretty convenient.  The inside is pretty much the same as SEA except it's a bit brighter inside.  I think it may also still be owned by the people of SEA because the menu tacked up outside made a mention of SEA opening in Las Vegas. 

When I opened the menu I was a bit disappointed to discover that it wasn't really Vietnamese.  It had a few Vietnamese options, but it was mixed in with Thai dishes such as pad thai, stir fried dishes and fried rice.  There was only one pho and bun option.  I decided to order the Ocean Combo ($15) from the specialty section hoping it would be more authentic.  Aarti ordered a spicy noodle with tofu ($10) and we split the veggie spring rolls ($4) and since it was before 7pm, all cocktails were half off (sweet!), so we each got a martini.  The spring rolls were fine, although when I ordered I was thinking of summer rolls instead.  I generally like the non-fried rolls better and they generally seem more healthy.  The main dishes came out pretty quickly and my dish was not exactly what I was thinking.  It was covered in a lot of sauce and it didn't have a huge amount of seafood in it.  There was about 3 smallish shrimp, 2-3 scallops and 2-3 pieces of fried pieces of white fish.  It was supposed to have mixed veggies in it but it was more heavy on garlic and onions, which tasted fine at the time but left a slightly harsh taste afterwards.  I didn't try Aarti's dish but it looked like a pretty decent standard noodle dish.  We also split the warm chocolate cake ($6) for dessert.  It came topped with green tea ice cream, which I loved, but the actual cake part was only ok.  While the food wasn't amazing (even to the neighborhood thai standard), the service was good and they were very nice that they let us sit in the restaurant and chat for 3 hours without really bothering us. Total bill with tip was $53.

No comments: