Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sapporo Haru Visited 12/11/10 4 Forks

Sapporo Haru  622 Manhattan Ave, (between Driggs Ave & Nassau Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11222





Ok, this place isn't fancy and isn't on the level as other 4 Forks restaurants I've been to, but it just really hit the spot at the right time.  My neighborhood is pretty lacking in terms of good affordable neighborhood sushi.  There are a few places on Bedford that are good, but for some reason this place just really impressed me.  They let you have unlimited free hot sake if you order more than $10, which clearly is never a problem for me and Dan.  We started with the edamame ($3.95) and I personally like them slightly undercooked and crunchy, which these were.  And they practically gave us an entire bag of them, so it felt like I was getting my money's worth, whereas usually I feel like it's a rip off to pay $4 for something that I know costs $1.50-$2 a bag.  Dan thought that they tasted funny like they had boiled it in water that was mixed with something else.  I didn't taste it, but he couldn't finish them because of it. 

The overall menu here is beyond extensive.  They have about 18 different sushi entrees, 36 different rolls and then 28 different chef's special rolls.  I know that this isn't the sign of a authentic true sushi place, but those places, while amazing and definitely make for an amazing eating experience, are generally too expensive for just a regular night out.  We had the sashimi appetizer ($9.95), which I thought was a great deal because you get 3 pieces of salmon, 3 pieces of tuna, 3 pieces of white tuna, and 3 pieces of mackerel.  This is sometimes the same number of pieces you get for a sashimi entree in some places. All the pieces of fish tasted fresh and satisfied my sashimi craving.  We then ordered the scallop roll ($6.95), new york roll ($8.95), and the birthday roll ($8.95).  I really enjoyed all the rolls and they were all very affordable, even the special rolls.  The scallop roll came with a large chunk of scallop (it wasn't cut up and mixed with mayo) with yummy spicy mayo layered inside.  The New York roll was larger than your average roll size and came with spicy tuna, crab, avocado, and a special white seaweed wrapped on the outside.  They claim the crab was Maryland crab, but I definitely didn't taste the "maryland" crab, but the overall roll was quite delicious.  Then the birthday roll was tuna, salmon, yellowtail with 3 types of tobiko on the outside.  This roll was totally fine as well, but nothing extremely special.  There were 6-8 rolls and due to the size of the New York roll, we were definitely full at the end.  We wanted to take advantage of the unlimited hot sake, but we just felt like we had no more room for anything.  I really wished this places was closer (although in the summertime, I would be more likely to walk here than in the cold) and I would totally eat here all the time. There are so many other things on the menu that I would try. It's a great deal and really hits the spot.  Total bill without tip for two people $42.     

No comments: